NEW YORK, NY -- (Marketwire) -- 04/29/10 -- The largest celebration of National Wildflower Week in the country will take place May 1 to 9. This year's theme is "Get to Know the Nature Near You" with events that encourage New Yorkers to get out and explore the 50,000 acres of natural areas and parks in the five boroughs. Con Edison is the lead sponsor of Wildflower Week.
Activities include botanical walks, garden tours, ecology lectures, children's fairs, planting opportunities, cooking classes, and restaurant programs -- the majority of which are free and open to the public. Some of the events include:
- Manhattan: Native Plant Garden Tours in Union Square, May 2;
- Brooklyn: Brooklyn Industrial Green Roof Tour, May 3 at 123 Dwight St. Red Hook;
- Queens: Queens Native Gardens of Queens Botanical Garden Tour, May 4 at the Queens Botanical Garden;
- Bronx: The Native Forest at The New York Botanical Garden Walk, May 4;
- Staten Island: Greenbelt Native Plant Center Garden Tour, May 3, at 3808 Victory Blvd.
For a complete listing of the week's events, visit the official NYC Wildflower Week website. The Wildflower Week twitter hashtag is #NYCWW where you can find out what people are saying about the events.
NYC Wildflower Week celebrates all things green and wild in the Big Apple -- the hundreds of native flowers, trees, shrubs, and grasses that call New York City home. It's a week of inspired environmental learning, with dozens of free activities, walks and talks for all New Yorkers to enjoy.
Con Edison supports organizations that share the company's concern for preserving and protecting the environment through conservation and beautification projects, as well as through educational and career development programs. It also recognizes the importance of conservation, recycling, reclamation efforts, and pollution prevention.