CLAYTON, Mo., Oct. 7, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- Olin Corporation (NYSE: OLN) announced that its financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2020 are expected to include a non-cash pretax impairment charge related to goodwill of approximately $700 million.
The goodwill impairment charge is primarily the result of the sustained lower Olin stock price during 2020. The decline in the Company's market capitalization caused an adjustment in the fair value of its reporting units. The approximately $700 million non-cash pretax goodwill impairment charge includes approximately $555 million related to the Chlor Alkali Products and Vinyls segment and approximately $145 million related to the Epoxy segment. These charges reflect the Company's best estimate; however, the impairment amounts continue to be evaluated and could change.
None of the impairment charges will result in any current or future cash expenditure. Additionally, the charges do not have an impact on Olin's compliance with the covenants and restrictions under all outstanding credit agreements.
CONFERENCE CALL INFORMATION
Olin's third quarter 2020 earnings release, including financial statements and segment information, will be distributed after the market closes on Wednesday, November 4, 2020, and will be posted to the Company's website at that time. Olin senior management will host a conference call to discuss third quarter 2020 financial results at 10:00 a.m. Eastern time on Thursday, November 5, 2020. Remarks will be followed by a question and answer session. Associated slides will be available one hour prior to the call.
Interested participants may access the conference call by dialing (877) 883-0383 (Canadian callers, please dial (877) 885-0477; International callers, please dial (412) 902-6506), using the pass code 2298241. The call will also be webcast live on the Company's website at www.olin.com, accessible under the third quarter conference call icon. Participants should log on to the website 15 minutes prior to the start of the call.
Following the event, the webcast will remain available in the Investor Relations section of Olin's website for one year. A telephonic replay of this conference call will be available beginning at 12:00 p.m. Eastern time for 14 days by dialing (877) 344-7529 (Canadian callers, please dial (855) 669-9658; International callers, please dial (412) 317-0088), using the pass code of 10148204. A final transcript of the call will be posted the day following the event.
Olin Corporation is a leading vertically-integrated global manufacturer and distributor of chemical products and a leading U.S. manufacturer of ammunition. The chemical products produced include chlorine and caustic soda, vinyls, epoxies, chlorinated organics, bleach and hydrochloric acid. Winchester's principal manufacturing facilities produce and distribute sporting ammunition, law enforcement ammunition, reloading components, small caliber military ammunition and components, and industrial cartridges.
Visit www.olin.com for more information on Olin.
This communication includes forward-looking statements. These statements relate to analyses and other information that are based on management's beliefs, certain assumptions made by management, forecasts of future results, and current expectations, estimates and projections about the markets and economy in which we and our various segments operate. The statements contained in this communication that are not statements of historical fact may include forward-looking statements that involve a number of risks and uncertainties.
We have used the words "anticipate," "intend," "may," "expect," "believe," "should," "plan," "project," "estimate," "forecast," "optimistic," and variations of such words and similar expressions in this communication to identify such forward-looking statements. These statements are not guarantees of future performance and involve certain risks, uncertainties and assumptions, which are difficult to predict and many of which are beyond our control. Therefore, actual outcomes and results may differ materially from those matters expressed or implied in such forward-looking statements. We undertake no obligation to update publicly any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of future events, new information or otherwise. The payment of cash dividends is subject to the discretion of our board of directors and will be determined in light of then-current conditions, including our earnings, our operations, our financial conditions, our capital requirements and other factors deemed relevant by our board of directors. In the future, our board of directors may change our dividend policy, including the frequency or amount of any dividend, in light of then-existing conditions.
The risks, uncertainties and assumptions involved in our forward-looking statements, many of which are discussed in more detail in our filings with the SEC, including without limitation the "Risk Factors" section of our Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2019 and our Quarterly Report on Form 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2020, include, but are not limited to, the following:
- sensitivity to economic, business and market conditions in the United States and overseas, including economic instability or a downturn in the sectors served by us, such as vinyls, urethanes, and pulp and paper;
- the cyclical nature of our operating results, particularly declines in average selling prices in the chlor alkali industry and the supply/demand balance for our products, including the impact of excess industry capacity or an imbalance in demand for our chlor alkali products;
- our reliance on a limited number of suppliers for specified feedstock and services and our reliance on third-party transportation;
- higher-than-expected raw material, energy, transportation, and/or logistics costs;
- failure to control costs or to achieve targeted cost reductions;
- new regulations or public policy changes regarding the transportation of hazardous chemicals and the security of chemical manufacturing facilities;
- the occurrence of unexpected manufacturing interruptions and outages, including those occurring as a result of labor disruptions and production hazards;
- weak industry conditions affecting our ability to comply with the financial maintenance covenants in our senior secured credit facility;
- the negative impact from the COVID-19 pandemic and the global response to the pandemic;
- the failure or an interruption of our information technology systems;
- complications resulting from our multiple enterprise resource planning systems and the conversion to a new system;
- the loss of a substantial customer for either chlorine or caustic soda could cause an imbalance in customer demand for these products;
- our substantial amount of indebtedness and significant debt service obligations;
- unexpected litigation outcomes;
- changes in, or failure to comply with, legislation or government regulations or policies;
- costs and other expenditures in excess of those projected for environmental investigation and remediation or other legal proceedings;
- failure to attract, retain and motivate key employees;
- the effects of any declines in global equity markets on asset values and any declines in interest rates used to value the liabilities in our pension plan;
- adverse changes in international markets, including economic, political or regulatory changes;
- our long range plan assumptions not being realized causing a non-cash impairment charge of long-lived assets;
- adverse conditions in the credit and capital markets, limiting or preventing our ability to borrow or raise capital; and
- various risks associated with our transition and subsequent operation of the Lake City U.S. Army Ammunition Plant.
All of our forward-looking statements should be considered in light of these factors. In addition, other risks and uncertainties not presently known to us or that we consider immaterial could affect the accuracy of our forward-looking statements.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/olin-takes-goodwill-impairment-charge-and-announces-schedule-for-third-quarter-2020-earnings-release-and-conference-call-301147156.html
SOURCE Olin Corporation