The UK's favourite Care Line Alarm provider, Telecare24 is proud to support Falls Awareness Week from 18-22 June 2012. Falls Awareness week is an annual campaign to help raise wareness regarding the benefits of keeping fit and healthy as well as highlighting the benefits of keeping your home safe to prevent falls.
To help raise awareness and make people's homes safer, Telecare24 are offering up to 2 months free on their care line service, along with £25 Marks & Spencer Vouchers for all new customers from 18-30 June. The Telecare24 Careline service operates from its award winning call centre in Hampshire, handling over 1 million calls every year. The Telecare24 Careline pendant alarm has helped thousands receive emergency help swiftly when they have suffered a fall.
Falls are one of the most common causes of injury to the over 65 population in the UK, amounting to around 9000 each day. It is one of the most common situations our care line team deal with on a daily basis. Someone over the age of 65 breaks their hip due to a fall every six minutes. Alarmingly an elderly person is then three times more likely to suffer a fall again within 12 months after their first fall. You may not have been aware that over 50% of falls in the elderly population occur in the home. That's why having a careline alarm from Telecare24 can be so important, ensuring that help is on hand whenever you may need it. Most falls in the home occur in the Bedroom, as that is where we spend a large portion of our life. The Kitchen is the second most prevalent room where falls happen due to slippery floors or cramped spaces.
A Telecare24 Care Line alarm that is worn on the wrist or round the neck means you can contact our careline team to summon help when you suffer a fall wherever you are in the home. We are here to help you 24 hours days, 365 days a year. The highly sensitive microphone on the base unit will pick up your voice and our Careline team will be able to summon a friend, relative or even the emergency services to get you back on your feet.
To help prevent falls in the home, Telecare24 has highlighted ten simple steps that can really help make the home safer.
· Have an additional Careline pendant just for the bathroom - or install a pull cord connected to the care line alarm.
· Keep the floor dry in the bathroom by using a secure bath mat.
· Use Safety rails around the bathroom and don't lock the bathroom door.
· Get up slowly after you sit or lie down.
· Wear sturdy shoes with thin non slip soles
· Keep your careline pendant alarm on your person at all times. You can wear it round your neck or on a wrist strap.
· Remove any trip hazards around the home, especially on the stairs.
· Keep items you use a lot within easy reach without the need for a stool
· Install a night light in your bedroom.
· Test your Telecare24 Care Line Alarm at least once a month. Just press the red button and tell the Careline operator you are making a test call. Our Care line operators are more than happy to receive test calls as we then know your equipment is working fine.
Telecare24 - Careline alarms you can trust.